The MarineGEO initiative is designed to yield:
- A greater understanding of how coastal ecosystems work based on scientific discoveries that emerge from global comparative analyses that have never before been possible.
- Improved management of marine ecosystems supported by our new ability to predict and forecast changes in the diversity and abundance of marine life, ecosystem processes, and human interactions in coastal habitats.
- Transformation of research and teaching of marine science through fellowships and citizen involvement. The fellows will populate the academic community for generations to come, moving into policy and regulatory positions where their insights will improve ocean stewardship.
- A global, open-source data repository for the future, which will provide better tools for sustainability and warning signs of impending trouble in coastal regions.
- Scientific data and discoveries that provide policy makers and resource managers with information to improve their management processes, producing local and global solutions.